For many of us, both outside of Christianity and inside, Halloween tends to be about sugar, endless acquisition (more and more and more candy), and...dare I say it....even witchcraft. (It's becoming super "trendy" to have Devil's Night parties and celebrate all things spooky and macabre. Or was that always trendy?)
But Halloween, with all its ghosts and ghouls and demons, is not a holiday that Christians need to fear, or to reject as Satan's birthday. Halloween, in fact, is the perfect time to talk to kids about finding fulfillment in God, trusting in God, and being beacons of light and love.
The 5-Minute Halloween Bible Lesson
The simplest way to talk about faith in the context of Halloween with your kids, is to talk about our desire to get more and more things (on Halloween: candy!) and how endless acquisition still leaves us unsatisfied.
For little kids, especially, Halloween is all about candy! But candy will not make us happy in the long run. It may make us happy for a while, but we need more substantial things to keep us healthy (like broccoli and complex carbohydrates) and happy (like friends and family, and ultimately, a relationship with God).
Elementary and Younger Youth Halloween Bible Lessons
- This preteen lesson on taking the scare out of Halloween helps youth think about how they can trust Jesus when they are afraid.
- Use these Sunday school lessons on shining the light of Christ on Halloween to talk about what it means to be the light of Christ and how kids can be beacons of light on Halloween.
- Check out Sunday School center for a lesson on how God is the biggest. This lesson talks about how God created all things and is therefore greater than all things, including Satan and the fallen angels. (Recommended for 11-12 years old.)
- Sunday School center offers the same lesson on how God is the biggest for younger kids (8-10 years old).
Preschool Halloween Bible Lessons
- This preschool Halloween Bible lesson on shining the light of Christ on Halloween has the kids dress up as animals and talk about God's creation.
- Sunday School Center has a Sunday school lesson that teaches preschoolers about how there is only one God.
- Take the "scare" out of Halloween with this preschool Halloween Bible lesson and talk about how Jesus is the light.
All Ages Halloween Bible Lessons
- The Pumpkin Gospel is a really clever way to talk about how we are transformed by the Holy Spirit - while carving pumpkins!
- The 10 Commandments for Halloween object lesson is super clever. If you have kids of different ages, let the older ones (the teenagers) teach part of the lesson. You can use this lesson to talk about being light in the darkness, and spreading love instead of fear.
- This Halloween candy Bible verse match up game is a great way to work on Scriptural knowledge and memory verses with the kids...while eating candy, of course!
Ministry to Children also has a couple of really creative Christian Halloween coloring pages that you can download for free.
The Pumpkin Prayer
We're also starting to use the pumpkin prayer this year, during our pumpkin carving nights. This is a great activity to do at home with just a few kids (and go through the relevant Scripture passages) and also with a whole pile of families, like at the pumpkin carving event we do at church every year.