We used this fun prayer station at school and at church this spring and summer. You can set this prayer station up with a collection of flower seeds, some soil, and some flower pots or an egg carton. This is a creative and interactive way to teach kids to pray, as well as a great way to get adults involved in a fun and tangible prayer practice.
This makes a fun spring prayer or a summer prayer, as you can plant your “prayers” outside once they sprout! This also makes a good reflective activity, as it encourages the kids and adults participating to reflect on what they want to grow in their lives.
- seeds (wildflower seeds, sunflower seeds, or any seeds that you would like to sprout)
- something to hold the sprouting flowers (flower pots or an egg carton)
- a container with water
- printed instructions
Once our “prayers” sprouted, I separated the egg cartons and planted them in flower pots and outside. They are becoming beautiful wildflowers! This is a fabulous and tangible way to watch the growth of something that you have planted and think about what is “growing” in your own life.
Prayer Station Instructions:
Spring is a time to celebrate new life, fresh starts, and hope. This is a prayer of thanksgiving for new beginnings with God. It can also be a chance to pray for God’s guidance when you are seeking some kind of fresh start or when you want God to help grow something in your life.
- Take a seed from the dish and hold it in your hand.
- Say “thank you” for something new that God has brought in your life, pray about a circumstance in which you feel there is a need for a fresh start, think about what you want God to grow in your life (Do you need more patience, bravery, persistence…?), or ask for help with a goal you wish to achieve.
- Plant the seed in some soil and sprinkle a little bit of water on top. Trust that God will grow good things in your life.
Want to see another version of a seed planting prayer? Check out these creative prayer stations to pray for God’s kingdom.